IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: On May 6, 2024, Carbon Black User eXchange (UeX) and Case Management will move to a new platform!
The Community will be in read-only mode starting April 19th, 7:00 AM PDT. Check out the blog post!
You will still be able to use the case portal to create and interact with your support cases until the transition, view more information here!

Cb Protection Unified Management FAQ

Cb Protection Unified Management FAQ

We’ve been getting questions about Unified Management (UM) within Cb Protection. Some confusion is probably being driven by the differences between CbP’s Unified Management and CbR’s Unified View.

We will answer the most common questions here. If you have any additional questions, please make sure to review the User Guide. If you can't find the answers in either place, add them below and we will incorporate into the FAQ.

Do you need to have a server dedicated to Unified Management?

The ability to have Unified Management is built into Protection 8.0. You simply enable UM from the Configuration tab on the console that you want to be the master. If you want to have a server dedicated to just being the master console (with no agents associated), that is possible, but not necessary.

Where do I get the Cb Protection Unified Management software?

There is no separate software or installer for UM. UM is part of the CbP 8.0 installer and simply enabled within the Configuration tab.

Do the servers I want to connect have to be on 8.0?

In order for the master to connect and communicate with the other servers, all servers must be on 8.0 or later.

What hardware do I need for Unified Management?

There are no specific or unique hardware requirements for UM. Since any CbP server can be “unified”, the requirements are the same as what is laid out in the OER for the CbP Server.

Can UM be enabled on a CbP server that is running on a VM?

Hardware requirements are the same as in the OER.

How do the CbP servers communicate with each other?

UM uses the API to retrieve data and send commands from the UM console. The only network port that needs to be open for this communication is port 443.

What is the latency of communication between servers?

The communication is handled via a web service and as such would be impacted by the type of network infrastructure each server is located at. Typically latency is of little concern.

Do I need a special account to use Unified Management?

No, but you do need to have a role that has the permission “Use Unified Management” to use it. In order to configure UM, your role must have the “Configure Unified Management” permission.

Does UM collect and store data from the other CbP servers and require additional storage?

UM does not collect and store data locally. Data is retrieved for purposes of rendering in the UI only. None of the data it renders from other CbP servers is stored on the UM server.

Labels (1)
Comments

Hey tsmith​ regarding this question above:

What hardware do I need for Unified Management?

There are no specific or unique hardware requirements for UM. Since any CbP server can be “unified”, the requirements are the same as what is laid out in the OER for the CbP Server.

Is it safe to assume the UM server would follow the server requirements of a Cb Protection server in a two-tier configuration?

For single tier 10-20k server I would need 48GB of Ram and 8 cores.

For a two-tier 10-20k server I would need 8GB of Ram and 4 cores.

Thanks!

Any and all servers can be the UM server.  There are no additional HW requirements and it does not have to be a dedicated server.

Thanks bjswope​ getting ready to set it up and trying to make sure I have it all in order.

We are using Carbon Black App Control (server running 8.6.2.26) for Linux clients exclusively. Specifying which client machines a Custom Rule will be applied to is an option on Windows clients if using macros, but from what I have read in the User Guide, macros are not functional within Custom Rules for Linux clients.  Is it possible to use Unified Management to manage only our single App Control Server?  We are considering enabling Unified Management so we can have a higher level of granularity, as it appears that client machine names can be specified when creating Custom Rules through UM.

How the licenses are managed through unified management ?  Say, I have 100 licenses, can I use unified management to manage licenses across different app control servers to ensure only 100 licenses are used across all the servers.  

What about policies and custom rules?  Should they be dealt in the individual servers separately?

Article Information
Author:
Creation Date:
‎06-16-2017
Views:
Contributors