Threat Report: Exposing Malware in Linux-Based Multi-Cloud Environments | Download Now

[Cb Response] Announcing 6.1.7 and 5.2.17 Linux Sensor General Availability

[Cb Response] Announcing 6.1.7 and 5.2.17 Linux Sensor General Availability

Hello all,

Carbon Black is pleased to announce general availability for the CbR Linux Sensors v6.1.7 & v5.2.17. This sensor releases both include support for RHEL/CentOS 6.10 Linux. Additionally, cbsensor v6.1.7 also includes RPM name changes and bug fixes.

For more details, please check out the release notes here:

To install either of the new sensors, perform the following steps:

1) Ensure your yum repo is set appropriately: modify /etc/yum.repos.d/CarbonBlack.repo with the appropriate baseurl, if needed.

2) Clear the yum cache

•     yum clean all

3) Download the installer

• Substitute the cb-linux-sensor-installer name for <package>
  • The <package local download directory> is a directory of your choice (like /home or /tmp)
  • Run the following command to download the installer
    • yum install --downloadonly --downloaddir=<package local download directory> <package> (current package to use: cb-linux-sensor-installer-6.1.7.10053-1 or cb-linux-sensor-installer-5.2.17.10027-1)

Note: if you receive a command line error for --downloadonly, please see these instructions from RedHat to download and install the downloadonly plugin from yum.How to use yum to download a package without installing it - Red Hat Customer Portal

4) Change your directory to the <package local download directory> from step #3

5) Run the following command to install the package:

• rpm -i --force <package> (current package to use: cb-linux-sensor-installer-6.1.7.10053-1.noarch.rpm or cb-linux-sensor-installer-5.2.17.10027-1.noarch.rpm)

6)  Run the following command to make the new installation package available in the server console UI:

*Note: If your groups have Automatic Update enabled, the sensors in that group will start to automatically update.

• /usr/share/cb/cbcheck sensor-builds --update

It is always recommended that you adopt a phased roll-out of this sensor in-line with your organization's software deployment best practices.

Thanks!

The Cb Response Cloud Team

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
Comments

We have customers reporting the distro URL listed above is failing (https://yum.distro.carbonblack.io/enterprise/stable/x86_64/)

Using the base url https://yum.carbonblack.com/enterprise/stable/x86_64/ has worked.

Can you have your customers try the following command before opening the URL, and let me know is this works.

yum clean cache

Updated the following to the base urls, please let me know if you continue to see issues.

mlinde​ sorry for the delayed response, each customer seemed to have a different issue which seemed to resolve when using https://community.carbonblack.com/. It may have been a coincidence. In one case they were using the full name of the downloaded RPM instead of the package name. Another had licensing issues with redhat.

EDIT: I've added my question here, under "Best Practices":

Automated Deployment of cbsensor on Red Hat Platforms (&gt;1,000 instance Enterprises)

Is there any way for CarbonBlack to build the RPMs so they are directly deployable via YUM?

Instead of having to download and then use manual methods (let alone rpm -i with --force)?

E.g., putting all scripts into RPM SPEC %pre and %post, and have them operate like other IHV and ISV solutions do?

Even better still ...  use RPM SPEC %triggerin scripts so the kernel modules are moved into directories for errata kernels (e.g., 2.6.32-754.y.z, for RHEL 6.10)?

Would the base url for a Carbon Black 5.3 server on RHEL 6 be:

Article Information
Author:
Creation Date:
‎08-01-2018
Views:
Contributors