The VMware Carbon Black Tech Zone is live! Checkout this great resource: Mastering Carbon Black Audit & Remediation.

Find specific installed application and version

Description: This query can be customized to specify the application to be queried. (replace the VLC in the query with your application name).

What The Data Shows: This query shows what version of a specific software is installed. This is necessary for quick checking of potentially outdated software and known vulnerabilities that are for specific versions of the specified software. 

SQL: 

SELECT name,version,install_location,uninstall_string, install_date 
FROM programs where name like '%VLC%';

6 Comments
jnelson
Carbon Black Employee
Status changed to: Approved

aashish_21
New Contributor II

Do we have something like this for linux servers, Where we can check versions of application running on linux servers

jnelson
Carbon Black Employee

Absolutely @aashish_21! It depends on the package manager for your Linux distribution, but here are the tables:

• atom_packages
  • deb_packages
  • npm_packages
  • portage_packages
  • python_packages
  • rpm_packages
aashish_21
New Contributor II

SELECT name,version
FROM rpm_packages where name like '%apache%';

I am trying out something like this, If i want to know the application versions of any specific app like apache versions

not able to return anything

aashish_21
New Contributor II

the query i mentioned worked thanks a lot , but can we use multiple tables with same column, instead of single table

jnelson
Carbon Black Employee

@aashish_21 you absolutely can! You would use a JOIN. What tables do you want to bring together?