Threat Report: Exposing Malware in Linux-Based Multi-Cloud Environments | Download Now

How do I Create an Idea/Feature Request?

How do I Create an Idea/Feature Request?

Updated 2/23/2021

There is a new process for submitting feature requests for Carbon Black Cloud products.  You may read more here.

--------------------------------------

Idea Central allows the Carbon Black community to suggest ideas on ways to improve or enhance our products’ functionality. These ideas are one of many inputs considered when choosing to build new features into our products. Feature ideas are found in Idea Central.

Learn more about the feature idea process and recent changes to Idea Central.

In order to ensure your feature ideas are posted successfully, it may help to know a few tips.

Search Existing Feature Ideas

Before posting your idea, search Idea Central to see if your idea or a version of your idea has been suggested already.  For the best search results, select a product first in order to narrow/filter your results to just one product.

ideas1.PNG

Comment, Vote, and Follow Ideas

Add your own comments.

If your idea is a slight variation of an existing idea or you have additional thoughts, you may want to add comments to the conversation thread.

Vote on the idea

If the idea is in the open for voting stage, you can vote it up.

Follow or bookmark the idea

Sometimes you may want to keep an eye on the idea (along with the comments and status) without having to post your votes or add any comments.

Post an Idea

If you searched and didn’t find the idea you were looking for, please post your new idea to share it with us.

Author New Idea

Follow these simple guidelines to write clear and useful idea submissions.

Have one idea per submission

Submissions that contain more than one idea can be unclear and confusing when it comes to voting and discussion.

• Complicated - Multiple Ideas: I would like to be able to sort policies alphabetically, import policies from CSV, and view old policy rules so I can revert back to them.
  • Better - Single Idea: I would like to be able to revert recent changes made to policies.
  • Better - Single Idea: I want parents to be able to sort policies by different criteria, such as alphabetically.

Choose a descriptive subject line for your feature idea

• Non-Descriptive Subject Line: Fix Policies
  • Better Subject Line: Make Policies alphabetically sortable
  • Non-Descriptive Subject Line: Make Export Better
  • Better Subject Line: Include Timezones in Timestamps of CSV Exports

Be Specific

Oftentimes people have the best ideas for improvement when they are the most frustrated. Try to state your idea clearly and concisely. Remember that you are asking many community volunteers to read and consider what you write. In addition to a clear description, support your ideas with any/all of the following:

• Include specific examples of ways this feature is needed to facilitate threat hunting, remediation, prevention, or administration.
  • Share screenshots and/or screencasts of any kind.
  • Stick to the single idea in your subject line (Please avoid additional ideas in your post as it is hard to vote on a series of ideas. If you need to expand your idea into multiple ideas, please submit a new feature idea.)

State the specific desired outcome or goal and then let the product managers and engineers think about how they can best add a given functionality to the product

• Prescriptive: I would like a blue button in the upper right corner of the UI that allows me to export search results.

• Specific: I would like for there to be a way for administrators to get search results out of the the product so they can be fed into a 3rd party reporting tool.

• Add Use Cases and Scenarios

• Make sure other readers can understand why you want the option to do something in the product. Adding a paragraph that begins with phrasing such as,”In my experience as a SOC Analyst…,” can go a long way to helping people who may not be familiar with the submitter's background can understand why this feature would be a priority.

Be Patient

Carbon Black products are developed using agile methods. Community input is very important to that process. While it is true that the product changes frequently, many of these improvements take months and thousands of hours of work to develop. This process means that even if everyone agrees that developing a given feature would be a good use of finite development resources, it may be a long time before the feature can be developed and it may have to wait in line as part of a larger development schedule.

Follow or Bookmark Ideas

Once you post an idea, you will be following the idea by default. Following means that you will be informed of any comments people add to your idea; how you receive the notifications depends on your notification settings.

Your continued support and participation in the community forums are very valuable to Carbon Black products and to our user experience. We urge you to keep sharing, commenting, and voting.

Related Content:

How Does the New Feature Idea Process Work in Idea Central?

New Changes to Idea Central Stages

Labels (3)
Comments
Currently, in Carbon Black Protection, the ability to view all details of a system that resides in the "Local Approval" policy requires that the user role has the "All Current and Future" selected under "Scope of Policy Permissions". We would like to request a feature change so that the same will apply to "Selected policies" as well under the "Scope of Policy Permission". Administrators in our environment manage unique policies. They have the ability to move systems to "Local Approval" and restore them to normal enforcement. However, only when they restore systems to normal enforcement will they have the ability to view details. Today, viewing a system in the "Local Approval" policy returns an error "You are not authorized to view this page". Thank you in advance for your consideration to build in this request. Best, Yen Willis

If you would like to submit the above as an idea, please see: https://community.carbonblack.com/t5/Idea-Central/idb-p/idea-central

Article Information
Author:
Creation Date:
‎08-17-2018
Views:
Contributors