- Carbon Black Cloud Sensor: All supported versions
How to Troubleshoot Sensor Installation and Upgrade Issues
Please open a case with VMware Carbon Black Support with the following Environment Details and Diagnostics Files:
- What is the current sensor version that is being installed on these devices?
- What are the prior sensor version(s) that were installed (if any)?
- How was the sensor deployed: the console, attended, unattended (command line), or third party deployment software e.g. SCCM, GPO, JAMF etc..?
- If this is a sensor upgrade, what sensor version was installed and how was it deployed?
- How many devices are exhibiting this behavior?
- What is the device operating system(s)?
- Is there an identifiable pattern where install/upgrades fail? (e.g. Does this issue happen only on a particular subnet, OS version or sensor version?)
- Verbose.msi log (Always collect this log when possible)
- If the sensor was installed via attended method, the verbose msi will not be generated
- If sensor was upgraded via CBC Console then the msi.log will be located in %ProgramData%\CarbonBlack
- If sensor was installed any other method then the verbose msi will only be created if /L*vx <logpath>\<logname> was used when installing the sensor. If the <logpath> was not specified, then the log will be created in whatever director that the msi was specified to run
- TCP Dump (Collect only if we suspect a network issue and issue can be reproduced on demand)
- All other Logs (Please contact support to obtain the cbcdisk-v2.ps1 sensor install log collection script)
- Copy cbcdisk-v2.ps1 into a directory
- Open a command prompt using Run As Administrator
- Execute command: powershell -executionpolicy bypass -f .\cbcdisc-v2.ps1
- This creates %TEMP%\cbcdisc-<hostname>.zip
Capture complete. Capture file is C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\cbcdisc-hostname.zip
- Sensor Registration Logs: confer-preinstall-xxxxxxxx.log & confer-postinstall-xxxxxxx.log/tmp
- Sensor Diagnostic Logs: /Applications/Confer.app/
- MacOS Big Sur Logs: /Library/Application Support/com.vmware.carbonblack.cloud/Logs
- For failed upgrades, collect /tmp/cbcloud-preinstall-[TIMESTAMP].log
- Where Does the Sensor Installation Process Store Logs on a Mac?
- The cbcdisk-v2.ps1 log collection script will automatically collect the sensor registration log cb-installer-<sensor.version>.log (post 3.4) or confer-temp.log (3.4 and below) which is usually found in one of the following locations:
- If there is a record for a device's hostname on one of the Inventory pages (Endpoints, VM Workloads, VDI Clones, etc.) where the Status shows Active but the Operating System (OS) and Sensor version fields are blank
- Registration has succeeded (there is a device_id), but installation has failed
- Uninstall/reinstall is recommended