IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: On May 6, 2024, Carbon Black User eXchange (UeX) and Case Management will move to a new platform!
The Community will be in read-only mode starting April 19th, 7:00 AM PDT. Check out the blog post!
You will still be able to use the case portal to create and interact with your support cases until the transition, view more information here!

Carbon Black Cloud: Why can't I delete files in a Live Response session?

Carbon Black Cloud: Why can't I delete files in a Live Response session?

Environment

• Microsoft Windows: All Supported Versions
  • Carbon Black Cloud Sensor: 3.4.x

Question

Why am I unable to delete a read-only file in Live Response? 

The session shows the following error:

Remote error 0x80070005 - Access is denied.

Answer

The Live Response delete function leverages a Windows API which respects file flags such as ReadOnly. Failure to delete a ReadOnly file is expected behavior and the flag must be removed for Live Response to be able to delete it.

Additional Notes

As a workaround the attrib commands can be leveraged:
attrib -r [filename.ext]

Once the read-only attribute has been removed (with the command above), the Live Response built-in "delete" command can be used to remove the file.

Alternatively, the Sysinternals tool sdelete from Microsoft also allows the removal of read-only files

sdelete /r [filename.ext]

Carbon Black recommends extensive testing and special care when using powerful deletion tools like SDelete

An enhancement request has been made to add native functionality to delete read-only files, please feel free to upvote:
https://community.carbonblack.com/t5/Idea-Central/Allow-deletion-of-read-only-files-in-Live-Response...

If the error seen is like below, this indicates that an attempt has been made to delete a directory, which is not an available feature in Live Response.

Remote error 0x8007000C - The access code is invalid.

Related Content

Was this article helpful? Yes No
50% helpful (1/2)
Article Information
Author:
Creation Date:
‎09-09-2020
Views:
Contributors